Wednesday, November 21, 2012

APBIM 2012

I remember my first half marathon in year 2011. It was horrible. I was limping due to cramps on both legs, and crying when I cross the finishing line. Dreadful.

Last Sunday, 18th November 2012, was my 2nd half marathon. It was also my first and last Penang Bridge Marathon on the old bridge. :) So I would say it's a memorable one. Because according to others, next year's marathon will be on the new bridge. So I assume they're gonna rush to finish up the new bridge by 2013. 

I wasn't well prepared for the marathon at all. Neither physically nor mentally. It was raining every evening since 3 weeks before the marathon, so I couldn't really train, all because I was down with a cold. I'm still coughing like mad right now as I'm writing this post. :( Couldn't sleep the night before the marathon 'cause again, my throat was irritated and I kept waking up and coughing, to the extend I had to sleep in the living room, afraid of waking up my family and Captain Awesome (he was gonna run full marathon so I know how important it is for him to sleep).
Woke up at around 12.30AM, feeling horrible and having a thousand thoughts of just quitting and not going for the marathon. But nonetheless, I dragged my lazy a** to the marathon site. After saying goodbye to Captain Awesome, as his full marathon flag-off time is at 2:00AM, I sat there alone, day dreaming, looking at girls with skinny muscular legs; at guys with tight 2XU pants (sadly no handsome ones); and watching Mr. Siput warm up beside me (He was the fella who wore a snail suit and ran half marathon, I think, and written on his shell was "Run Like A Siput). Haha. Then I went to the portable toilet booth to ease my bladder, wondering if the whole booth would actually tumble over if I push it hard enough from the inside. Then I visited the different different tents, warmed up with the aerobics team like a malfunction robot 'cause I couldn't follow the steps. Yea. That was basically what I did in one hour and 15 minutes until it's time for my flag-off time, 3:15AM.

It wasn't an easy run, especially running with a dry, phlegmy throat, and coughing all the way. It was tough. I couldn't breathe properly. Then the first nightmare came, a pain on my left ankle starting from 9km. But I told myself, just keep running, and if it becomes too unbearable, just walk. So that's what I did. I ran and walk, ran and walk. I stopped at every St. John emergency "pit-stop" and asked for them to ice my left ankle. It didn't help. But I continue to ran.

Then came the 2nd nightmare. The urge to bang sai. =.=" Every portable toilet I see by the road side was so tempting. But when I imagine what I would smell and see when I open the door, I just tell myself: "Screw it. Just tahan til you finish the race and get home."
Then the image of the toilet bowl in my house suddenly turns to shinny gold. Hehehehe. 

I finish in 2 hours and 48 minutes. My strongest run was the last 4km. Probably because I want to bang sai so badly. Haha. Went to the APBIM website today and found my ranking: 360/1876. Lousy. Haha.
But nonetheless, I think I did pretty well this time even without proper training and bad physical condition. 2013 perhaps, I'll finish it in 2 hours and 15 minutes. ;)
 [2:48:46]
Credits to Deswyn :)

[Finisher medal: Medals last longer than pain. ;) ]

Lastly, I wanna thank God for giving me the strength and determination to finish my half marathon, and also for helping Captain Awesome to finish his full marathon way before his time limit *prouds* and also for helping our friends too. Til next year. :)
[Captain Awesome and his full marathon finisher tshirt. :) ]
You did well, hun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You improved your time by 20% compared to last year's marathon. This time you ran with cough and flu. You did AMAZING!

Eeleen said...

Dear Anonymous,
Thank you for your encouragement. And thank you for being a faithful reader, since long long time ago. :) I do notice. :)
Regards,
simply eeleen

Sandwich Recipes said...

Greeat reading your blog post