Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Are you one of them?

It makes me very sad to see how some children can ill treat their parents. And when I say ill-treat, I don't only mean extreme situations like beating our parents or not giving them food. It simply means being disobedient or not honoring them.

I was at a customer's home the other day to conduct health screening for her and her friends. BIG HOUSE. It doesn't require a 5 year old to notice that she was rich. Or her husband was rich. Either way laaa. She was a nice lady. So was the husband. :) But not so when it comes to my client's daughter. Pffffft. I entered the house and the first thing I did was to smile at the daughter. First impressions are important ma.. And you know what? All she did was stare back at me.
She literally stared at me with hate (maybe I was disturbing her and her TV).

She looked like she was 17 or 18 years of age. And while I was there for 5 hours, all she did was sit in front of the TV holding the remote control. A total of 5 hours! I mean, fine la..maybe she just finish SPM so she's enjoying some quality time with the TV. But then suddenly, she shouted at the mom,
"MOM!!! Did you know you didn't close the gate?? Close the gate!".

I was shocked. Not because of her shouting (partly laaa), but mostly because she was sitting just 3 meters away from the Auto-gate switch button, while my client was probably 20 meters away. Not to mention the way she COMMANDED her mom to close the gate.
Then around 6pm, I was still talking to my client about future appointments, the daughter shouted again,
"MOM!!! DINNER!!!".

She repeated 3 times, each time yelling louder and louder. And this is not the best part yet.
She barged into the meeting room, gave her mom that cold stare, making it obvious that she was annoyed, and said again,  
"Mom, do you know what time is it now? Where's my dinner??" The father politely answered her daughter,  
"Mommy's busy now.".
And you know what she replied her dad???
"Am I talking to you?"

I felt like walking towards her and giving her a tight slap on the face. For goodness sake, she's old enough to make her own dinner, and I'm very sure she could drive out to buy her dinner too if she's that hungry, 'cause I saw a "P" sticker on the car!!! Ughhhhh!!! Thinking about the situation as I'm typing this just makes me angry. Are you feeling what I'm feeling?? Sigh.

Are most families like this nowadays? I hope this is not a common trend in today's society, if not I'll be really, really sad and worried. :/ I've also seen how some children treat their homes like hotel. They go out in the morning, come back at night, lock the door and do their own things. They don't spend quality time with their parents, don't talk to them, they don't even have dinner with them.
Sigh. Double sighs. Triple sighs. :(

The bible clearly says,
"Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.", Colossians 3:20.
Exodus 20:12, "Honour your father and your mother, so that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you."

It doesn't say, honour your parents only if they're loving towards you.; or obey your parents if you feel like it. No, it doesn't.

How many of us are treating our aged parents with love and affection? Or giving them the same kindness we're giving to our friends, spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend?
Or are you one of them, who is denying your parents the attention that they deserve?
They're not gonna be around forever. Maybe not even for Christmas. Who'd know?
Think about it.

4 comments:

Honey Hong said...

man. i can feel you. that girl is freaking annoying. i feel like slapping her. where is the respect for elders, and her parents? spoilt brat! man, if only the parents are not your client. if she does that screaming thing again, i would tell her on the face, "is that how you talk to your parents? so disrespectful"..man i feel like MELETUP when i type this comment!

Eeleen said...

Sigh.. I just hope such situations are not common in modern families. It'll be very, very sad. :(

Unknown said...

But we cannot be fully blame to this girl also (although i want to slap her face too)...sometime we as an outsider cannot comment to others people family matter. Their parent also have to bear the responsibility for not educate their children well.There must be a cause and effect...what we called karma. So don't be too sad about it ya.

Eeleen said...

I'm not sad. Just hoping this is not a common sight in family nowadays. :)